Banshu Flies Revisited

I really want to try my hand at tying authentic Banshu Ayu flies but the resin type and gold flake process is a mystery to me. Does anyone know what kind of resin is used and gold flake? Thank you in advance!

@todoroki34, maybe you can help me.

Regards, JA.

2 Likes
1 Like

Yes. I have seen this. I appreciate it. What I need are product names for the mixed resin and the type of gold leaf.

I miss David Walker. I’m sure you’ve seen his thread on Banshu kebari, but I’ll post it here again, so we can all remember how amazing he was.

5 Likes

I believe there is only one type of gold leaf. It is just 24k gold pounded extremely thin. I don’t know what type of resin is used.

3 Likes

Found this resource. Now to see about some of these materials.

2 Likes

David is greatly missed.

2 Likes

I was just thinking about him a couple of days ago. I miss him too.

2 Likes

@tvdavisid Tom, I’ve been thinking the same thing. David Walker would know the answer or he would be able to find out the info. in a very short time. He was an amazing man that had so much information to share with us. I really wish he was alive.

2 Likes

I also miss David and his contributions very much…Karl.

2 Likes

Agreed. David Walker was a Power house.

@Jonathan_Antunez
Johnathan. Sorry for the delayed response. You might want to reach out to Misako Ishimura. @CM_Stewart might be able to get you connected. A few years back I went to the Catskill Fly fishing museum and she did a presentation on Kebari. @Peder was there too. I think they were largely flies that @todoroki34 tied, but it was a few years ago, my memory might be inacurate. I know he gifted participants with flies he tied. https://discourse.10colorstenkara.com/t/catskill-fly-fishing-center-and-museum-fishing-show

Anyway. Here is a snapshot I took of what I think are Banshu flies. When we asked details of these flies, they were flies of the wealthy who would fish. The gold is largely a status thing and the bead itself really has no weight, so although it looks like a bead head, it is not weighed, the gold ornamentation is just ornamentation and status. Or at least that is how I remember the explanation.

4 Likes

Thank you for the picture, they are amazing looking.