A New Hook For My Foam Spider Pattern - Gamakatsu C15-BV

I have recently changed to the above mentioned C15-BV Hook for tying my Well-Hung Foam Spider Patterns, because the Vertical Eye and Barbless design is most helpful in releasing fish and tying on Parachute hackle flies without crushing the hackle: With the vertical eye, you just turn the fly on its side and stab the tippet through the eye hole under the hackle, and tie the tippet knot there as well - quick and easy.

For a view of the hook and some Kebari tied on it, Please see the following:

I believe it’s interesting how much the colors of the materials the fly was tied with changed when viewed against the 3 different colored back grounds the photos were shot under compared to what we see in the air above the water. The fish get a very different view than the one we get.

After TUSA was sold, the forum went away and all the links to articles that appeared there (Here as well) have also been Lost. Fortunately, I have other access to some of that material, so I’m putting up the Materials List and Tying Sequence for the Well-Hung Foam Spider Pattern as follows:

THE WELL-HUNG FOAM SPIDER MATERIALS LIST:

Light/Dark:

HOOK: #14 Gamakatsu C15-BV - like a Klinkhamer hook but shorter, 14s, because the #12s tended to put fish off.

THREAD: 70D, Black Ultra Thread.

YARN BODY: Wrapped with Jamieson’s, Color 101 Shetland Black, Wool Yarn.

HACKLE: Gray Partridge, with half of the fibers stripped off the inside curve, tied in tip first, then wrapped around the foam tie in point 1.5 to 2 times.

OVER BODY: 2MM thick, Lt. Cahill or Apricot colored Foam, cut with a River Road Creation’s Spider Body Cutter in a 1-step operation. Please See: River Road Spider Foam Body Cutter | Trident Fly Fishing

THE FOAM SPIDER: The Well-Hung Foam Spider is as close to a One-Fly Pattern as I’m going to get. I’ve been fishing it a lot stream fishing for 3 years now, but it also works well on stillwaters, but not as consistently as the ant and beetle patterns do on lakes. This pattern has been in development for more than 20 years now, here’s the Tying Instructions:

THE WELL-HUNG SPIDER TYING INSTRUCTIONS:

1. The most time consuming part of tying this fly is forming the foam pieces, and then preparing the partridge hackle. Start by cutting out a number of Spider bodies with the #14 size River Road Creations Spider Foam Cutting Tool from a strip of foam the width of the length of the over body you want, 5/8".

2. Select well marked (high-contrast) Partridge Hackle flank feathers, removing all the fluff from the bases, and moistening the feather, pulling all the hackle fibers back against the grain except for the very tip end. Putting hackle pliers on the tip of the hackle makes doing this easier. On most partridge hackles, the hackle stem will have a slight curve. Turn the feather concave side up and strip all the inside curve fibers off of the feather stem. Trim the tip to form a small triangle in back of the tie in point, and set the prepared hackles aside for future use.

3. Cut a 3 to 4 inch long length of yarn for each fly to be tied.

4. Place a hook in the vise and tie in the thread right behind the hook’s eye, wrapping back to where the hook shank starts to bend down, and stop.

5. Tie the yarn in at the bend and and wrap it on down and around the hook bend to where the thread will form a 45 degree angle to the hook point, then wrap the thread back up to the yarn tie in point, and half-hitch.

6. Now make one turn of the yarn flat, then twist it twice (or more depending on how thick you want the body to be), and continue wrapping the yarn on up to the waiting thread, and half-hitch again.

7. Now let the yarn untwist, and as you did before wrap the yarn forward flat down on top of the hook shank to the back of the hook’s eye, and return the thread back to the tie in point. Again make the first wrap flat, and then twist the yarn to match the body thickness you used coming up, wrapping the yarn back to the waiting thread at the tie in/off point, and tie it off and trim the excess yarn away.

8. Tie in the hackle by the tip, concave side facing up, with the stem sticking out behind the hook. Use a loose wrap of thread to tie in the foam spider over body on top of the hook shank and slightly to your side, so it will center on the shank as you pull up to tighten the foam down with thread tension, now do a 3-turn whip finish to secure everything.

9. Wrap the hackle in between the foam over-body and the yarn under-body, clock-wise, 1 1/2 to 2 times, and tie it down with a 1/2 hitch and trim the hackle stem away, now whip-finish right in between the hackle fiber legs and trim the thread away. Put a drop of head cement on top of the whip finish above the foam and below the body and your Well-Hung Foam Spider is complete.

1 Like

Karl, can you add a photo?

-Tom

Tenkara Addict fishes The Well-Hung Foam Spider: