Fly tying photos (#flytying #kebari #flypatterns)

Just got my first pheasant skin and have tied up some north country spiders, which I learned about on the small stream reflections blog. Anyone else ever try these out (very similar to kebari)?

9 Likes

Hah! Just stumbled on this piece by @CM_Stewart (I should have known that he had “been there, done that” with these). Looking forward to giving them a go for some small wild trout:

2 Likes

Yes, I tie a variety of soft hackles and spiders. I use both hen and rooster hackles. The hen feathers are softer of course, but I like the coloration and mottling of the rooster feathers like the one in your pic. I’ve been using more yarn as of late, but simple thread bodies with a wire rib are just as effective for me.

3 Likes

Dustin,
I have been tying wet flies such as the flymph, north country, and soft hackles flies for many years. They are wonderful flies and I love the beauty in its simplicity. There are excellent books on their design, history, and tying instructions. I’m really glad that you enjoy these flies. They are a lot of fun to tie and fish.

T-stillwaterKarl Klavon

Dec '21

Want to fish with a True Reverse Hackle Pattern? Give the Sheep Creek Special a try. Although I have never fished this pattern in running water, I know some anglers who do and they report it to be highly effective, in both the standard version and Bead Head models as well. Although I’m giving the Fly Fishing the Sierra information here because it lists the Peacock Herl models, which I’ve found to be particularly effective, with wire ribs, than the chenille ties, so please take a good look and enjoy. There is a lot more information on this pattern out there, mostly as it applies to stillwater and warm water fishing as well, but it will do a great job in streams also.

https://flyfishingthesierra.com/sheepcrk.htm

I have a series of SC Patterns I tie for different water color, lighting conditions, pre-spawn and spawning fish, that use Fluorescent and UV Reflective tying materials, which I call my Sheeps Creek Specials, because they have FL- Tags and Butts, but that’s another story…Karl.

2 Likes

4 Likes

5 Likes

5 Likes

Filled a box with all the patterns from the Discover Tenkara complete kebari collection. It’s a solid set of patterns that’ll be more than enough for my favorite streams in the summer. I really like these wooden boxes as well. Ordered 4 off ebay I think they were around 6.50$ a piece.

3 Likes

Great job, Ryan. These kebari you tied are awesome.

1 Like