Fly tying photos (#flytying #kebari #flypatterns)

(David S Riley) #62

@Kookagee

Thank you Mike. All being well I will be back ‘dangling a line’ in the New Year.

David

(Gressak) #63

@davidsr cool…yeah like those jigs too but lighter…so not to overload the rod.

I always find fishing deep a challenge with tenkara. Sink speed and water movement always an issue.

Very un-tenkara but something to try if you have a rod to handle the weight. Like a dropshot rig. A single splitshot at the very end of the tippet. You could knot the end or leave it alone…if left alone you ptobably could free a snag by just pulling the line through the clamp of the split. Above the split…about a foot…the streamer. Palomar or surgeons loop.

The dropshottting techique is interesting as you place the offerin where the fish are and work in place. Same concept as a sabiki…flies over weight… On a side note i have caught trout on a sabiki using spinning gear.

The unweighed flies have a more natural presentation…the weight puts it in the strike zone.

(David S Riley) #64

@Gressak
Thanks for your comments. I agree that weight is an important factor. I am always very careful with that. In my lurefishing days using a spin rod I often drop shot. It is a deadly method for perch.

The canal I fish has depths of upto 16’ and the depth from the side can be 5 - 10’ extending about 10-12’ from the side before a steep drop-off. Unless I am fishing in the top layers of water unweighted I literally swing the rod out so I in such situations the weight factor is not too critical. I never add weight to the line. Any weight is always incorporated into the fly. The Morikawa weighted jig hooks flies shown above, are as heavy as I go. They have a approximate weight of 0.3gms and would only be ‘swung out’ not cast.

Many of the flies I tie have Jamieson’s Shetland spindrift wool bodies which absorb water and creates a natural drop for the fly. There is very little flow to the canal.

View of canal I fish

David

(Peder) #65

@davidsr

Those jigs bring back lots of memories for me; reminding me of my childhood and fishing with my grandfather. We used jigs similar to that to fish for coarse fish: mostly perch, pike (with baitfish hooked on the jig), and panfish.

I really like your “perch special” too. There is a perch pond not too far from my work, I may have to try out something similar. Thanks for sharing.

(David S Riley) #66

@Peder

Glad you like it. Here is another pattern. It is one that I have adapted slightly from an original by @PanfishOnTheFly I saw in an article in Winter 2017/8 Tenkara Angler he wrote. I have added glass seed beads to make it, to me, more ‘perchy’!

I have not tried it yet but have high hopes for it.

[Note - I think the bead head would be better with the silver lined coloured Toho beads I normally use but I don’t have any that colour - yet]

(Mike Kookagee Shelton) #67

David, I wish I could show you my kebari but my fly tying is mediocre at best. Your kebari are awesome!!! I really enjoy seeing your flies.

(David S Riley) #68

@Kookagee
Mike
Thank you for your kind comments. If you really want to see some good tyings have a look on Instagram. There are many ‘works of art’ displayed there by tyers far superior to me.

Practice makes perfect. Keep at it! Remember you are tying to catch fish they don’t mind if ithe fly (kebari) doesn’t always look perfect. Think of the number of times you have had one of those days when a favourite fly gets chewed up but still catches!