Where would you live...?

(Mike Kotowski) #1

Random musing for a Friday afternoon…

I have a habit of randomly searching available properties around the country in anticipation of my next move. If you were to relocate (within the US) and trout fishing was high on your list of priorities, where would you live?

Now I think it would be easy to just say Montana, or Colorado, or something like that. But would the relative short length of the season deter you? Would somewhere like the NC/TN border be even better than out West? Just curious what everyone’s perspective would be.

(Mike Shelton) #2

Mike,
I would choose Mt. Rogers/Grayson Highlands area. It is at the far western corner of Virgina. It is also near NC, WV, KY, and TN. These states are within 45-50 minutes drive time. This area is populated with rainbow, brook, and brown trout. There is not a lot of pressure and miles and miles of streams. When I was there in early July 2017, some days I did not see another person fishing. I have been there 4 summers in a row and have always been amazed at the scenery, wildlife, trout, and friendly people. I only wish I could talk my wife into retiring there but that is a NO GO!!! However, I can at least dream. It is about 5.5-6.0 hours driving time from Richmond, VA. There are also wild herds of ponies roaming around in the mountains and some elk plus buffalo have been released somewhere in the area. No one is allowed to hunt them but I hope this summer I get lucky enough to see one. There is a log cabin I rent for $500 for 8 days and 7 nights. What a deal!!!
Two summers ago I saw a Hellbender that was close to 2 feet in length. I hope you will get a chance to visit this special area. :wolf:

(Mike Kotowski) #3

Awesome. I have been hiking, but not fishing yet, in that area.

(Michael Agneta) #4

I’ve often thought of this, and I think I’d like to live somewhere in North Carolina, perhaps slightly more than Colorado.

Colorado is simply amazing. If (trout) fishing was my only concern, that would probably be the place I’d be, but I also like the idea of not being incredibly far from a coastline (and the rest of my family is scattered up and down the East Coast). Plus, Charlotte is a great travel hub to get pretty much anywhere in the country.

That said, living on the East Coast my entire life, I think I’d like to give the West a try, at least for a few years…

(Kohei Yamamoto ) #5

I would like to live in Hokkaido(Japan) or Colorado.
Especially Colorado is a good place because I actually want medical marijuana.

1 Like
(Adam Trahan) #6

I like my life, my family.

I think I’ll just live in the present.

If I had to answer, probably in Chamonix or Verbier. I would probably be single and dead. That’s a serious mountain town. I would climb, soar, base, live life as best as I could by myself.

As much as I like to be alone, I love my family more and do not wish or dream to be away from them. Not even online.

(Mike Kotowski) #7

I hope my original question didn’t imply that I don’t like my life or family, ha!

I just know that I’ll be moving sometime in the near future (with my family) and finding the most ideal place includes ready access to good trout fishing.

2 Likes
(Adam Trahan) #8

Of course not!

I just prefer non-fiction and liked your question.

(Tim Apple) #9

When I was young I didn’t like being in the midwest, northern Illinois to be exact. Now I live in Texas. I used to think I wanted to live in Montana or Wyoming due to the whole trout thing.

Now that I’m older and I think a little wiser, I would say Wisconsin or Michigan. You have Brown, Rainbow, and Brook Trout not to mention, Large Mouth, Small Mouth, Muskie, Pike, all the Panfish, Salmon and Steelhead in the great lakes and tributaries, Flats Fishing for Carp in the great lakes. Don’t forget Walleye, Sauger, Crappie, all the various catfish species and probably more I can’t think of…

My wife will never go for it though…she hates snow.

1 Like
(Tom Davis) #10

Eastern Idaho. Right where I’m at.

1 Like
(Tyson Sparrow) #11

I also love where I am eastern California we have a huge amount of fishing opportunities here. This weekend is major trout opener so I’m volunteering to go teach kids fly fishing on Sunday at our local park that is home to massive trout, and bass. I may consider a tenkara gathering soon if there is enough interest.