Tiny targets

(Gressak) #1

jjhiker posted this on FB.

I feel I am aligned with the article…and thought it was a refreshing read.

(Isaac Tait) #2

I agree with you. It was enlightening and I totally agree - small fish are my bread and butter.

(David S Riley) #3

Quite timely, as I am currently trying to tie up some very small flies to catch the ‘micros’. It gives me a lot of satisfaction when I catch those irritating small fish that create little dimples in the surface of the river. After all a fish is a fish regardless of size and a tenkara or fixed line fly rod is an ideal weapon of choice.

(Colby Farquhar) #4

I micro fish. I have a lifelist of species caught, and many of my most memorable have been some of the tiniest. In the last year, I’ve spent far more time pursuing fish that, when fully grown, grow to much less than a pound, many max at less than 3-5 inches.

(Mike Kotowski) #5

I love it. My fishing is more defined by where I fish (with a very strong preference to small streams) than what specifically I fish for. So I find myself catching smaller fish…but I’m very OK with that. I’m perfectly happy catching small wild/native fish on beautiful small streams with nobody else around.

(Gressak) #6

I have read the article several times now.

I like how its not just about being happy with what the river gives you but also sort of a link between us and the river and its dwellers.

My most favorite fish are the ones that I allow the river to present the fly for me. Those presentations where there is a lot of lost and found, where you do not know exactly where the fish or your fly are. The one where the river draws your fly deep into some hidden hold…and then the line jolts forward from a savage strike!!!

(Adam Rieger) #7

Great article! Also cool that it has a soundtrack!

I love wild native fish (literal period). The size of them does not matter. I prefer tiny streams in the middle of nowhere. I love those places and the beauty that lies both on the surface of these places and from below the water’s surface.

In places where there is a chance for stocked fish to be present…I get excited when the fish is indeed small…because that might mean he/she was born there and from there…somehow that is more special.

I am not into sight fishing or “stalking fish”. I like to read the water, plan out my approach and implement it. When I do as I intended and a fish strikes…that gives me excitement!

I prefer this plan/implementation to all happen in a hard to cast to place, with the fly manipulated on or near the surface so that it draws a surprising strike that gets my heart pounding and causes me to yell out loud :smile:

(Peder) #8

That is more succinct and well said than I could have ever put it. Brilliantly done. It also captures how I feel and what I seek when I fish.