Playing with Digibooks

It’s too cold out for my whimpy self. Snowing, 23˚F, and the creek is frozen over.
A digibook embedded on a webpage viewed last evening got me to playing around on the digibook website.

http://www.digibook.net/?actioncode=openTop

Just enter a search phrase at the top. Such as テンカラ.
The choices to the left of the search box are Title or Author - タイトル ・作者. Title is probably the best choice.
A search for テンカラ returns about 20 digibooks.

[ It seems to time out after a few minutes, the URL will change to [ logoutByNewInstanceWakeup]. If it does just click on the banner at the top, which is an odd digital font of, I think, デジブック, Digitalbook. ]

20 Digibooks with Tenkara in the title
Digibook Tenkara search

テンカラシーズンオフ [ Tenkara Off Season] well, actually it is written as - tenkara season off. 59 frames.
http://www.digibook.net/d/9015a3d7b008bdd5a6915c125e136c85/

I never figured out what they were doing with the piece of gray PVC pipe, about 30 inches (76cm) which they would stick between the stones on the stream bed. Which first shows up around frame 18. Seemed like they were using it to look for something below the water surface. But what? Then toward the end, but in a blurry picture, it appeared they were dropping a small shovel full of fish eggs into a depression in the stones through the PVC tube. Where they looking for some kind of wild food, or doing some kind of fish conservation?

Other search phrases:
源流釣り Head stream / Genryū Fishing
渓流釣り Mountain Stream / Keiryū fishing
毛鉤 Kebari, found 7 digibooks. 毛鉤巻き Kebarimaki, kebari winding, only found 1 digibook titled 毛鉤巻き講習会 [ Kebari winding workshop]
鮎毛鉤 Ayu Kebari found none, but
鮎毛ばり Ayu Kebari found 1 digibook.
Point being, unlike google or other search engine, the digibook does not seem to find the same word if written with different kana characters. For example each of these spells Kebari : 毛鉤・毛ばり・けばり・毛針 .
釣り Tsuri, fishing, finds 144 digibooks, but that is a large topic with many types of fishing.

Anyway, some of them are kind of fun. For me a better choice than standing outside, very long, with the snow flakes flying more horizontal than falling straight down.

1 Like

Yes Attempt of regeneration of fish
http://www.jff.gr.jp/JFF/TPT/hatugan2.html

and

http://www.fish.rd.pref.gifu.lg.jp/gijutsu/hatsuganran-horyu/hatsuganran-horyu.htm

Discharge is work aimed at the growth area increase of iwana

In Japan’s steep mountainous terrain,

places where the fish can not be lived (extinction) come out due to floods etc. even in places that have grown in the past

It has been artificially re-discharged since ancient times to expand the fish’s growing area

It is just like a farm work

It means that kebari is a harvesting tool

This is rather fascinating, so different than how people do it here in the US. Thanks @dwalker and @todoroki34.

Thank you for the links and explanation.

Two or 3 years ago I found a video and a link to a webpage about transplanting fish up stream above the so-called Fish Stops. 魚止 or 魚止め. Natural water falls or man made dams. Places that stopped the fish from going farther up stream. Low water falls I guess they can get up during times of flooding. But not up stream of the higher water falls or dams.

I don’t recall how long ago it was. It was just after Keiichi-san posted a story on T-F forum about Fish Stops, or sakana tome, dome. And I was playing around doing internet searches with the phrase 魚止め. What ever date that was when Keiichi-san posted about them it was just after that.

Anyway, the video showed a group of men catching fish in the lower streams. Either in fish traps or via lantern fishing. The fish were then put into water tanks with battery powered air pumps. The tanks were in backpacks.
They would then hike up stream, past the fish stops like water falls. Or up stream of man made dam fish stop. And there release the fish.

What I could not understand is why they released the fish often in places where the stream was maybe only 12 inches (30cm) wide. Not really enough water to cover them. Often the fish would be seen struggling to get to deeper water over wet leaves. Or just getting stuck somewhere. Maybe it was so the fish would stop going farther down stream at a place as high up in the stream as possible where they first found water deep enough to live in.

Most of the video was of the men doing the work. Catching the fish, or releasing them high in the head waters areas.

But in a few places in the video they appeared to be on a TV show, with maps showing the natural and man made fish stops, and explaining their project.

It was a fun video. Also an old video made maybe 10 years ago or more. I can no longer find it. And I was sure I had book marked it, or saved the links to it in some file. May be I will find it again sometime and post it, if it still exist. I do not recall seeing them use the same type of PVC pipe device shown in the digibook.

Thanks @Peder and @dwalker

we have released fish on the waterfall by a variety of methods from long ago

Easy way carried fish lifted fish with water

In the season there is snow we carry the fish of suspended animation

This is the discharge method of fertilized eggs

I would like to believe that the underground water is abundant place :thinking:

iwana(岩魚) was able to survive for about half a day in the snow,
I was able to cross the mountain

Even we would archaic carry the fish of the river upstream

We also carried it to the mountain lake and increased it

It was secret fun of those who enjoy fishing with limited mountain streams