Floss body tying trick

It’s an 8 year old video by Terry Corneau filmed in low resolution, but good enough to understand his tying tricks.

How to tie a soft hackle partridge and orange

3 Likes

That’s slick about using tension to cut the hackle stem.

I don’t tie with floss, but that’s neat too.

But “oh heavens” does that fly not conform to what I think of, when I think of a “Partridge and Orange”.

I still have a spool of Pearsalls orange gossamer silk. I’ll probably tie a couple more flies with it, then give the remainder to my youngest son as a bit of memorabilia.

Now this is a P&O (from https://smallstreamreflections.blogspot.com):

3 Likes

Partridge&Orange

When the flow is fast

It’s my favorite fly pattern

4 Likes

“The Carrot” must be a close relative. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

https://smallstreamreflections.blogspot.com/2020/03/the-carot.html?m=0

2 Likes

I also agree
There are many patterns with the same name

Carrot Fly
American Nymph Fly Tying Manual(1975)
・・・Randall Kaufmann

GB-Carrot Nymph

English style “Carrot Fly”
journal of the London Flyfisher’s Club (1912)
・・・G.E.M. Skues

Partridge&Orange
・・・Joseph Wells
1842 THE CONTEMPLATIVE ANGLER

Variations are common in Irish style spider patterns

4 Likes

As my introduction to wet flies (other than nymphs) came from the North Country Spider tradition, very thin bodies and hackling on the sparse side is what I think of when the P&O, Purple and Snipe etc… are discussed.

Purely a matter of preference of course. But that personal preference is such that I very much like the flies @todoroki34 shows in the last picture, no matter that every single fly that he pictured is an example of tying excellence.

In the latest issue of California Fly Fisher, the editor talks about “fish you remember”. And that over the years, there were maybe only half a dozen that really came to mind. Personally, I think that number is low. One of those “fish I remember”, is a 3 pound bass that took a size 16 P&O that was being used to target sunfish in the local pond one late autumn afternoon. I was using a 7’ Granger bamboo rod at the time. It was indeed memorable, with the fish almost taking me into the backing.

3 Likes

I’m amazed that many of the “new” flies are really just the “old” flies rediscovered. I like the Partridge & Orange by Joseph Wells. It actually follows the color banding of a real carrot. This is really cool. Thank you, Todoroki-san.

1 Like