An old kebari about 100 years ago

大型 羽根 針

特製大極上等大型羽根針

It is kebari for “Getahas” of (30 ㎝)・・・ゲタハス

3 Likes

Do you have a recipe for the second one? Or looks fantastic.

img_4_m

img_6_m

img_1_m

It may be difficult to understand

1 Like

All I can say is amazing!! :wolf:

I can not express it with words :sweat:

Thank you Todoroki-san for sharing the pictures and information.

Fantastic!!!

A lot of such patterns were rediscovered

There are such patterns in various places in tenkar-kebari

I think that such an old pattern has changed further by individuals

I was home alone tonight, so I figured I’d give a try at this style of kebari. I think @todoroki34 has made much nicer ones than I, but it was my first attempt.

Both styles we’re tied slightly differently. The first one was tied with the hackle in front of the wings. Whereas, on the second, the wings were tied on top of the hackle.

2 Likes

This year’s fun has increased :smiley:

Here’s one for you to try.

The author calls it 毛鉤なんぞを(kebari nanzo o).
Flipping the word order round to なんぞ毛鉤を it will translate as - the do something fly.

Maybe that’s correct or maybe not. Weblio equates なんぞ、なぞ、なにぞ、&何ぞ.
Giving me a choice of: what, something, mystery, riddle, why or how. :confused:

Whatever is the correct translation the author writes that 故堀江渓愚氏 the late Mr. Horie Keigu was a fan, and 分けて・欲しい I want you to share it. That it 爆・釣でしたよ was explosive fishing.

Moves like a small fish like minnowing if you normally retract.
普通に引けばミノーイングのような、小魚のような動きもします。

But not just that,In fact, in the "reverse drawing " `gyakubiki’ " It is becomes a movement like that of Japanese-style fly “Upside down fly” (sakasa kebari).
しかしそれだけじゃなくて、実は「逆引き」で和式毛鉤の「逆さ毛鉤」の如き動きにもなるようになっています。

So cross-streaming or down-streaming effects are effective as well.
ですから打ち込む時はクロスストリーム、もしくはダウンストリームでも効果があります。

If you are upstream it is a way of inviting (sasoi) like minnowing.
アップストリームでしたらミノーイングのような誘い方.

Well, maybe.
In memory of Al Capp, and one of his favorite characters. The kebari nanzo sounds a lot like it might be the Shmoo Kebari . To good to be true or real.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shmoo

Or what the Germans would call the - Eierlegende Wollmilchsau. (I will let you look that one up) :wink:

But also not so simple to tie as the standard 2 or three material kebari.

Would you like to wind a Kebari nanzo (or maybe it’s Shall we wind a Kebari nanzo)

毛鉤なんぞを巻きましょうか

1 Like

It doesn’t look too difficult, I just wish I knew what was under what appears to be Mallard flank.

@dwalker kebari nanzo reminds of the good old flat wing streamers http://globalflyfisher.com/patterns-streamer-articles-streamers/flatwings

1 Like

Ya, have to look around a bit to find a few more hints.

テンカラ毛鉤 2016-08-04 21:13:49 This one is the best choice of where to look. :wink:

テンカラ毛鉤
Originally rather than fly-fishing. Preferred Japanese style fly ·Imitation fly that was (A fly that imitated real insects and insects) Only the portion that projects the image of the aquatic insects were claimed, I like to fly to fish invited (sasoi) aggressively.
もともとがフライフィッシングではなく、和式毛鉤を好んで・やっていたものイミテーションフライ(本物そっくりな昆虫や虫を真似した毛鉤)ではなく、水生昆虫のイメージを突出した部分だけ主張させた、積極的に誘って釣る毛鉤が好きです。

Spirally winding the chicken’s chest feather (called a cock neck hackle) on the needle’s (hook’s) torso to make a chest. After that, cut off and wind it around and wind the inner wing (yellow wing of the koraiki) first. [note - (Yellow feather of kollekish) is yellow feathers of Ring-necked pheasant]
After that, wind up the duck’s chest feather (mallard) and wind up.

I’m sure you can figure out the rest of it or make a good guess at what he used.

However, this seems to be the key to it’s claim to magic.
"Since it is now dry, it is fluffy, but when it enters the water it becomes streamlined and when the rod is slightly moved the inner hard pheasant feathers will spread the soft duck mallard (feathers). "

毛鉤、巻いたよ 2017-02-27 21:43:31

毛鉤、巻いたよ

1 Like

Thanks David. Because I’m at work right now, I hadn’t taken the time to look into it further. I will later tonight. Thanks for the additional info, however.

Opps, I forgot to mention this fly that reminds me of the same kebari.

I’ve been seeing it on the catfisher6 blog for a few years now. He seems to order them from somewhere or maybe he was sending them to someone, I forget, I seem to recall seeing an envelop with postage in one of his blog post. Some other kebari look like similar to ones Todoroki-san has shown us recently.

http://catfisher6.exblog.jp/i8/

More from the catfisher6 blog. Earlier I was in a hurry and only had an iPad, which is not very good for doing more involved post.

Sakasa kebari : ビーズヘッドならぬ、ビーズテール逆さ. Not a bead head, bead tail sakasa kebari.
超渇水 渓流3 Super-drought mountain stream 3
http://catfisher6.exblog.jp/22490927/

Wet Fly ウエットフライ
http://catfisher6.exblog.jp/3326808/

準備完了! Ready !
http://catfisher6.exblog.jp/22490863/

I tried some “bead tail” flies last year, after reading about them on a different Japanese blog. I did not have any luck in fishing them. I also tied some with a red bead in the middle of the body and never got a hit on them either.

I’ve never tied any type of fly using a bead in any position. However, flies tied with a red band of thread somewhere in the middle of the body or a red head have usually attracted attention and gained hits.

That’s why I gave it a try. I found these cheap glass beads at our local craft shop and thought I’d give them a try last year. In fact, the owner said that quite a few people who tie flies had come in and purchased them. He asked me if there had been a recent magazine article or something online talking about them. Anyhow, I digress.

The flies that I tie with red heads almost always do well, but for some reason these did not. Maybe it was how I presented them, maybe it was how they looked. I’m not sure. I also tied some with red wire in the middle. I’ll see if I can find some photos.

Edit: So, I couldn’t find any photos and too some new ones. They are a little mangled. Partially from being fished and partially from sitting in the bottom of my fly box for the past 8 or 9 months. The bottom two are identical except one had a glass bead and one is Uni wire in size small.

As I’m sure you can tell by all the photos I post, I love fly tying and experimenting with new designs and ideas. I’ve been doing it since I was 8 years old and cannot see myself not doing it. Not to mention, I could never be a one fly guy. That’s part of the fun for me. Call me crazy. Besides, it gives me something to do in the winter when I can’t fish.

1 Like