Kebari crosses the flow

Kebari as dancing on the stream

In this case kenbane-kebari is valid

Of course natural drift is the best

1 Like

Cool illustrations.

My intent of my comment was inline with David’s interest in:

and also:

I have been fishing striped bass for a long time and see a lot of parallels in behavior.

The most note worthy are the similarities on how they use structure and current to feed and how their mood to feed is extremely variable.

Half of the time they will feed readily without much coaxing. The rest of the time they are really keyed in on something specific or are not actively feeding at all.

The rule of thumb is to first identify available forage then cycle through profiles similar to that forage. Try different presentations until you find what they respond to. I always start with a dead drift. Then introduce imbellishments. Then introduce changes of speed depth and movement pause tempo variation. If no response, then I move to a completely different profile…and repeat. If no response…I move.

Manipulation is not the only trigger to convert fish that are not feeding.

Recently I had fished for some brookies and skating flies seemed to be the ticket to the actively feeding fish. I came across a trout in slower water that did not respond to the skate…or the manipulation. It was a slower moving pool in the brook about 5 feet deep and the trout was hovering a foot or two off the bottom 3 feet out from the bank I was standing on. I dropped the fly above it and allowed it sink naturally a couple inches in front of it.

It enhaled the fly!!!
that never works!!!

What I am getting at is that the angler’s flexibility to experiment to unlock what each fish wants is as important as having the skill to properly use each technique.

My river leopard outing is another example. My buddy slayed the trout with a olive woolly bugger on a river where the trout are known to have a preference to that form. The key is to find what works and use it and not get caught up in what you should be doing but rather what the fish want you to do.

1 Like

I find 跳躍式釣法 [Chōyaku-shiki chōhō] an interesting name. For 2 reasons.
Google translates it as - leap or jumping fishing method.

Firstly:
In the Discover Tenkara ebook, on page 153 - they write about a fishing method called Hashi Rakashi (they did not provide the Japanese word in Kanji. And I’ve not been able to discover the correct Kanji for hashi rakashi. They wrote that it literally means - sweep quickly. But that a good translation is - run around fly.

It is done with a short stiff hackled kebari.
The idea being to sweep the rod tip so that the kebari hackle skates a sinuous path on the water surface film creating a small wake behind it. Which they say can trigger hard hits on the right day.

The description of Hashi Rakashi makes me think of the often repeated Family Circus comics in the Sunday newspaper:

Secondly
There is a pdf of a reprint of an interview done years earlier of Mr Ishimaru Shōtarō [ 石丸庄太郎さん] on the Mazegawa website.

テンカラ釣りの名人・石丸庄太郎さん
Tenkara Fishing Master - Ishimaru Shōtarō-san

http://www.mazegawa.com/produce/upload/koho0704_p6-p8.pdf

It states that his preferred fishing method was Ukase-dzuri [ 浮かせ釣り法 ] that translates as - Float Fishing.
浮 translates as Floating or Levitation. かせ can also translate as Skein - which has one definition as a flight of Geese in a V-formation. I don’t know if that term was intended to combine those two definitions. But it did make make me think of a kebari skating on the water surface creating a V-wake in the surface film.

I had a heck of a time trying to translate Mr. Ishimaru’s description of the effect of fishing with this method.

With John Sachen’s help I finally figured out it was a double negative sentence.
That probably translated like this ; The fish could not resist not coming out to take the kebari. iow the fish found it impossible to ignore the fly, and just had to have it. :wink:

Anyway, Hashi Rakashi & 浮かせ釣り [Ukase-dzuri ] seem to be similar to 跳躍式釣法 [Chōyaku-shiki chōhō.] But maybe just a little different or maybe the same, just with a different descriptive name. :nerd_face:

In another section of the forum the question was asked - what is the advantage of a kebari made with kenbane hackle?

Paul G. has written that it’s advantage or main attribute is that it is a combination of stiff hackle and a soft hackle in one feather. Stiff at the root, but with soft mobile tips. The stiff hackle part would hold the kebari in a water eddy and the soft tips will provide life like motion in slower water. I don’t know if that was his own conclusion or if that was how kenbane hackle was described to him by Tenkara Angler friends in Japan.

1 Like

Oh, and just to be clear, Ukase-dzuri [ 浮かせ釣り法 ] Float fishing method (skating the kebari on the water surface) is completely different from ウキ・テンカラ釣り法 [Uki (aka Float) · Tenkara fishing method - which is a method where a small ball float [玉ウキ] is on the line above a small weight and kebari.

See:
http://tenkarakebari.jugem.jp/?eid=944

note:
オモリ [omori] = weight.
Perhaps a seldom used method, but it does show up in a few videos, in particular it’s use by Dr Ishigaki in a video of the opening day of fishing generated some surprised chat a few years back.

Very cool David.

Not to labor the comparison, but there are presentations for striped bass that call for V-waking/slow crawling plugs on the surface. The V-wake is specific and a defining component of the tactic. The angler specifically tunes his/her retrieve speed to get the desired wake.

For trout. I have found that as it is with striped bass, the presentation works the best in slower water. Water where the surface is less perturbed. It may work equally well for trout in perturbed water, but I have not had that experience yet…although I have tried it several times. It sort of makes more sense that quiet water pockets the V becomes more pronounced. I suspect the V itself is an identifier for feeding fish, that something living is there. Peaks their curiosity to investigate.

The skating, pausing, and dragging of the fly was demonstrated in one of the first videos I viewed on tenkara manipulation.
Daniel Galhardo sort of covers all the bases. The video is not the most detailed or best video illustration of the techniques, but sort of an auctioneers version of a lot of things to try. Verry concise and awesome overview. Makes me think I should watch it before each of my outings. There are a couple of them I have never tried.

I suspect everyone has seen that video, and realize he is also sharing what he has learned in Japan. I just wanted to post it as I feel like it is a really nice concise and comprehensive overview of a lot of techniques. I am curious if he is missing any. I am not as well educated on the subject to see if he is.

//tenkarakebari.jugem.jp/?eid=944

Nooooooo!
tenkara is more simpler

tyouyaku-siki
跳躍式
It makes use of the surface tension of the water surface movement and water

The strength of the huckle matches the strength of the flow

I’m feeling, Dr,isigaki mere bystander

Industry commentator of fishing gear manufacturer

1 Like

hahahahha. Oh no…Someone got called out for being a pro-staffer.

Thats awesome. I did not know that the tenkara community suffered from the same affliction.

2 Likes

I agree with your way of thinking and feeling :kissing_heart:

Agree, but in Japan :zipper_mouth_face:

If I can meet you may be holding you :heart_eyes:

Nothing wrong with tenkara manufacturer’s consultants promoting tenkara, without rod makers we would all be making our own rods, lines and hooks.

Actually going back watching the video again, I thing I disagree with the opinion then expressed that he was using a float. I think it may only be a marker. But it is difficult to determine just what is on the line.

I have certainly never seen him promote a ball float rig on any website or in any book or magazine. I think it is a fringe method. [ However, there are some people who seem to promote that Tenkara is a museum method that shouldn’t be changed from the Handed down / denshō methods, [伝承方法], vs those who see many valid tenkara fishing methods. Among them the handed down methods and the evolving methods of the present and future. There were some interesting post defining tenkara & fishing methods on tenkarakebari blog in I think April 2012 or 2014, it has been a while since I looked at the post.]

Feb.05 2012 Tenkara Kansa Riv.
テンカラ師達の解禁 in 寒狭川

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3idbTLtCS8w

[ it also appears to be a day when some people use some favorite nostalgia rod rather than the rod they now normally use]

kebari fishing Basic

My thoughts

I think that it is tenkara and preferences of each individual

tenkara is not a thing of only one person

tenkara’s tradition is not only from one person

It is not also mean only one person of wisdom is better

If my understand and explain for my benefit, there will be more mistakes

Tradition is not to do in order to benefit

Currently in Japan tenkara’s introduction seems to be spreading knowledge gained from one book

There may not be mistakes, but that is not necessarily the most correct

I dislike unfair information than mistake

1 Like

I do agree.

But it is also true that any vocal person of any discipline, who is also linked to commerce in that discipline, has a burden of the politics in what he or she says and recommends. It may not necessarily be malicious or deceptive, but at minimum it may be tainted a bit.

I have never met Dr. Isigaki and I do not know enough about tenkara or his view on it. At the same time, knowing that his business and livelyhood is linked to any fishing manufacturer does put him in a separate category.

I like this and agree.

It dovetails with my analogy of fishing being like fine art painting. Their are infinite styles. You can follow any of them, or even make your own.

1 Like

I feel a lot of rediscovery and new development to tenkara in this forum

How to kenbane hackring and how to finish the zenmai body
introduction of mountain cocoons from ancient times and
so on until the announcement in my web in September 2009
It is the current situation in Japan that everyone has not disseminated correctly

Things introduced on a commercial basis were not explained at all in that respect

I am grateful to everyone who is participating

1 Like

Talk about ayu fishing at tenkara-rod
This year’s hunting season is over, but looking back and seeing the current conclusion

Dropper wet fly fishing in ayu-kebari

The dropper is a replacement for the weight

ayu-kebari imitates aquatic insects but the combination of colors is very beautiful

The distance between the dropper and the read fly was 30 cm which was easy to use

I think many people take that view. However, the Tenkara market is such a small percentage of the overall rod market, maybe even only a small part of the telescopic fixed line type rod market. I doubt anyone outside of direct ownership of a rod brand or supplier makes any substantial income from it. Design consultant fees for a small market I image are also small.

Dr. Ishigaki has always seemed to me to be more Tenkara advocate, than salesman for Shimano, with the primary goal to have more people in Japan and worldwide try tenkara as an effective fun way to fish that can provide a life time of opportunities learn it’s subtleties. A simple system with complex sophisticated methods of use. I think the only place I have seen him directly recommend the Shimano rods are in Shimano videos. He may often recommend them in private, I like to believe not so much to make a profit from it, but because they are rods with characteristics he favors and believes to be the best design. Just as anyone else thinks rods made with their input believes it is a superior design.

With Tenkara being a small world - his three books, 4 twenty something year old tenkara vhs videos and I think 2 DVD videos, and by Jan 2018 a third tenkara techniques DVD, I believe are made more to advance interest in & know-how about Tenkara more than profit from it. I also have never met him or exchanged emails with him so it’s just my impression from afar. I think he is 70 y.o. I don’t know if he still does sports vision research or teaches as a college professor. Or if his time is still divided between the two activities.

But maybe I am the one naive about motives and intent. I frequently am.

Oh. I agree. I would never say how someone fishes and calls it tenkara - is not tenkara.
I may think it is not a good tenkara method. I might say to them - you might find this rig setup and method better.
But I would never say to them what you’re doing is not tenkara.
Clearly there are many people who are very skilled tenkara anglers whose choice of rod, line set up, and fishing methods are quite different and perhaps equally effective or very close to being equal.

Or effective for how they prefer to fish. Or to match what their goals are when fishing.
Some people’s goals are to catch a lot of fish.
Others’ goals are to only catch a certain species or to hook the fish in a specific way.
To each their own. aka 10 Colors Tenkara.

Well, time for me to stop goofing off and finish preparations to go to the N.C. outer banks for a week or so.

1 Like

Since I made a different thread, can you talk about this subject in that thread

What is the definition of your tenkara fishing?

It is a continuation of Kebari-sasoi Tenkara techniques of the main subject

叩き釣り(tataki-turi)=Dapping For Trout

It is a useful means at Stillwater in the evening hours
It is how to invite kebari to imitate the movement of a large stone fly

I will use this kebari

and

I got acquainted with various people thanks to kebari fishing
Beyond that, I can talk with people from different countries thanks to the web.
I never thought that such fun will spread
That’s why I am grateful to everyone in this forum

I appreciate @Peder who started this forum, thank you.

2 Likes